Friday, December 10, 2010

Personal space


Some jerks tagged my alley gate.

They're probably getting off on this media coverage.


While it's a universal human urge to say, "See me, I exist", I resent having my personal space commandeered.

It's not as if I wouldn't like to be out there with a can of paint, spraying my identity all over everyone's everything.         In my gut, it's very appealing, but I am hobbled by my respect for private property, and my fear of the law.

Maybe at it's core, existence is one big psychic land grab. Everyone jockeying for position in other people's personal space.

As an artist, I am acutely aware of this possibility, the need for the individual to stake their claim in the collective awareness.

Facebook is evidence of this universal human need to be present in another human beings personal space, even if it is only digital.

This is my Facebook profile picture.


Times 48

I would like for my profile picture to expand beyond these digital horizons. I would be extremely grateful to any of you who would lend some of their personal space, and assist me with this conceptual artwork, by carrying a tiny portrait of myself in their wallet in perpetuity, or until it no longer becomes feasible to do so.
I will mail to anyone who is willing to help me, a grid of 4 wallet pictures. 1 for your wallet, and 3 to pass along to potential collaborators in the future. (makes a great gift)

space tight? don't worry...     http://adamernestfarrington.blogspot.com/2010/12/concessions-in-concept-art.html

It is important that at some point you pull out the wallet portrait and say something about me. 
That we are friends. That we were in the service together. That you found this is in your girlfriends glove compartment, and you feel awkward about asking her about it.
It doesn't matter what you say or if it's true, as long as it fits the template of wallet portrait banter.

Part of the motivation behind this conceptual art piece, is that nobody has ever carried a portrait of me in their wallet before, and I think it is high time for me to rectify this situation.

Please email me your mailing address, so that you can be included in this work of art.
adammetal3@yahoo.com

Interesting accounts of the wallet portrait project are welcome, but not necessary.
Participators in the wallet picture project will have their first names listed in a special data-base.








1 comment: