Monday, December 20, 2010

I'm a comma comma comma comma comma chameleon

That's right, I'm a ,,,,,chameleon, because my wife's always criticizing me for using commas in the wrong place.

I always thought that you could put a comma any place that you wanted the reader to take a pause, especially in creative writing, but my wife swears it's not so.

Why can't the Americans teach their children how to write?
I feel like I'm married to Henrietta Higgins.
It's comma, and comma, that keep me in my place, not my wretched clothes and dirty face...

Just you wait Henrietta!

Cause I'm a comma chameleon. I put my commas where I want to, not where the tyranny of grammar dictates.

Like I said, I'm a ,,,,,chameleon.

But then I looked up the real words to the song, to see if they put commas between the list of karmas.
It turns out that sometimes they don't, and sometimes they do...
So I don't know if I'm a ,,,,,chameleon, or a ,,,,,,,,,,chameleon.
Sorry Henrietta, if you want lingual stability, there's always Latin.

Ahm jist sellin' me sculptchas ah am!

No comments:

Post a Comment