Thursday, December 2, 2010

Art I did when I was little.

This is a self portrait I did of myself when I was in nursery school.
I only did it because they forced us to.
I had a terrible sense of foreboding about the project because at that time I had no formal training in the arts.



I was so mad about painting through my arm, and disgusted about my lopsided body.
When I got back from school my father asked me, as usual, "what did you do in school today?"
As usual, I said "nothing". (It was bad enough to have to waste all that time going to school, I sure didn't want to talk about it afterwards.)

He was so proud of my self portrait, that he framed it, and hung it in the hall forever.
I'm glad I have it now, since I've gotten attached to it over time. But back then, I don't know...

The Photograph tucked in the corner is me, when I got to New Orleans in '95. I was welding a sculpture under a deck that was outside of my basement room. Nobody was forcing me to paint self portraits.


This picture was a collaboration between my father, Ray Johnson, and myself when I was 3.
I didn't know that Ray was an artist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Johnson I was was just impressed because he was the only bald person I'd ever seen. My father did the car, Ray did the guy saying "And Ray", and I did the rest.


NO HAIR!

2 comments:

  1. Those first bald people in one's life ARE impressive, aren't they?

    Thanks for sharing your "thoughts and feelings," Adam. I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you met Ray Johnson! He was a legend in the mail art world and in the Fluxus movement. Back around 1984-88 I used to do a lot of mail art and had a show, "The Return of Halley's Comet". I lost it all in Katrina, but he had submitted a piece. I felt anointed!!!

    ReplyDelete