Tuesday, November 30, 2010

If you love something set it free...

A few years ago I was really down with kites.
My favorite kind is the Gayla center keel kind that looks like a little hang glider, they work best.

Wait, 2 kite stories.

So first, a long time ago, I was down by the beach in long island, and I flew my kite so high that it was no longer visible. Then I pulled in some of the line, and tied some tinfoil, a paper cup, a plastic bottle, and other assorted bits of trash on the line and let it out again.
Pretty soon I had a nice little cluster of admirers, (genuine adults) asking how I was able to fly that garbage on a string.    I fessed up way sooner than I should have.

Ok, so a few years ago, I'm down in the lower 9, flying my kite on masons twine, which is incredibly strong and relatively light. I'm on the levee, and the kite is way out over the river, it is awesome!

But then an enormous freighter rounds the bend, and my line is slumped way out over the middle of the river.

I'm about to cause an international incident! I'm winding as fast as I can! No way!
I'm trying to break the line, but it's mason twine!

If I don't do something quick, the captain is going to get a nasty string burn across his belly, and my clunky home-made metal string winder is going to go clanking up the side of the ship, and get tangled in the radar antennae. Very bad things will happen soon.

I found a rusty scrap of metal in the dirt, and furiously sawed at my twine. The twine frayed, and finally popped, the end snaked through the water off into the distance.

It passed harmlessly through the super structure of the ship, and everything was coool. ahhh!

Then I noticed that instead of fluttering chaotically end over end like a leaf in the wind, my kite was still flying steadily, under the weight of the string. I sat, and watched as my kite flew higher and further, and became smaller and smaller. It took 20 minutes before it was out of sight.

It was nice out so I stayed where I was...

After a while I saw a speck in the sky. It got bigger... It was my kite, coming back again, mysteriously coming closer and closer, getting bigger and bigger.

A tugboat towed my kite up the industrial canal, I was jogging along the bank, 20 feet away from it when they finally realized they were pulling a kite, and hauled it in.

"Can I have my kite back?"
The deck hand was trying to figure out how to throw me my kite, but it never happened.
It's hard to throw a kite.

1 comment: