Thursday, October 21, 2010

Zen and the art of wheel alignment.

Once I swapped some art for a Ford Probe. It was a good car, but it wore tires. When I took it in for an alignment, the mechanic noticed that one of the front wheels had been pushed back, probably from hitting a curb, so he couldn't put it on the wheel alignment machine unless I had some very expensive front end work done. A bitter pill to swallow, on a bartered car. I guess he could sense the position I was in, because he volunteered, "You can align it yourself, you know." 

I asked how, and he gave me a demonstration.  He planted himself about 15 feet in front of my car, a wide stance, and proceeded to do automotive thai chi moves. "First you find your center...Relax, breath..." He pitched gracefully to the left, sighted down the side of the Probe, then pitched to the right, and repeated, explaining how to align a car based on this combination of intuition and observation. Later that day I found my center. It worked very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment