Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The free money society

I'm not saying that my father was convinced that I was a dummy.
But I am convinced that he had his suspicions.

During college I didn't work much, So I had to put up with my father bugging me about why I couldn't stretch that $20 longer than a week.

Like all college students, I was a revolutionary thinker, with all kinds of ideas for improving a society that can be inconvenient and annoying to 18 year olds.

So I said to my father, "I don't understand why people have to work to get money, why can't the government just set up a bunch of free money stations, and you could go there, fill your wallet up with free money, and not have to waste so much time and energy working for it. Then when your money ran out, you just go back to the free money station, and get some more."

My father really took it to heart, and it irked him to no end.  The "free money station" haunted me for years, and whenever he thought I was being financially irresponsible, he would bring it up again and again.

No matter what I said, he wouldn't believe that I'd only been kidding, and yes, I had a grasp of basic economics.

The most annoying part of all was that he always mislabeled my sham concept as being the "free money society" instead of the "free money station". Even when I'm being totally full of it, I'd still appreciate a little proprietary accuracy.

Had I only known the extent to which my "free money station" would affect me...
After graduating college I was renting an art studio from a new age musician who was supposed to be using the money for the mortgage he had taken to pay for a new guitar. He was unemployed, so instead of paying the mortgage, he was hurtling towards foreclosure. Luckily he had a plan. He vibrated. He vibrated for months and months.

Ultimately this plan failed, and with my fathers help, I could have scooped up the deal of the century before it went into foreclosure, if not for that cursed "free money society".

No comments:

Post a Comment