Saturday, September 18, 2010

Contraptions that influence my art

Here is an awesome picture of a "doodlebug" that I found on flickr. Doodlebugs are home-made tractors made of shortened cars or trucks, with 2 transmissions, for extra-low gear reduction.

I like this one because it's made of a 30s car, but has a roof cut off of a 50s car, just floating there. There's no cozier feeling than being barely out of the weather.



There's a lot of nice old crap in upstate NY where I'm from. The spike in scrap metal prices did away with a lot of it though. My Pal Mike lives near a scrap metal yard. The way he described it, sounded like an iron parade of awesomeness, bound for a tragic end at the smelter. sigh.

I've got a half finished tractor downstairs, but the project got stuck. Eventually I'll finish it, and when I do, y'all will be the first to know.

There's a zillion cool pictures of doodlebugs on flickr, If you're down with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32687125@N05/3742797987/

Oh yeah, another thing, the main reason I made this blog, is so that I cold periodically say, Hey, check out my website and look at my art.    adamfarrington.com    
Anyhow... Keep it real!
Adam

1 comment:

  1. ahh yes the glorious scrap iron highway. It is not all glory though. One day there was this thick black cloud of smoke wafting into my airspace. It was so nasty and so out of the ordinary, I went to check it out. Someone had pushed a burning car into the driveway of the scrap yard and driven off.

    I'll let you know if any doodlebugs go by.

    Your Pal Mike

    ReplyDelete