Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cars I have loved

When I got out of art school in '93, I was too poor to buy myself a Porsche. I was living deep in the heart of Corvaire country at the time, so for $150 I bought a "Poor man's Porsche"

It was a silvery grey '61 4 door Corvaire with wrap around glass in the back, and no front bumper. It had a 2 speed transmission with a shifter that more resembled a light switch sticking out of the tin dash. It had bench seats, a flat floor and with the engine churning away in the rear trunk,  it felt like a toy carnival ride version of the typical 60s land yachts.

Ralph Nader criticized them for being "unsafe at any speed" although they were also the most "green" American car of the time. They had a tendency to fly off the road backwards if you took your foot off the gas in a corner, but so did rich man's Porsches.

Here is a promotional video from 1960. It shows Lime Rock Raceway, a few miles from where I was living. From the scenery, it looks like the whole video was made in that vicinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPpry8JiK0
Here is another you tube video linking Ralph Nadar to the rise of the SUV.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF-8a6B8Ljk&feature=related
Ralph, the man who gave us George W and the SUV. pfff?!

No comments:

Post a Comment