Friday, September 17, 2010

A chip off the old block?


My mother had a blog before blogs were cool. It was in a time before the internets. Her blog was a column in the local paper, and it was really un-cool. 

It enabled me by association,  to be even less cool than I already was in junior high school. 

It was entitled , "Notes from the woodshed". My mother had recently built a woodshed, and was psyched about it. I guess she wanted to project this persona, tapping away in the woodshed, on the old manual typewriter her dad had given her as a high school graduation gift. A near luddite journalist in a woodshed. 

The woodshed was full of wood, with no room for journalism, and I was the one who bore the burden of fielding the questions  from a snickering audience of my classmates. 
"Uh, no, she doesn't actually write her collumn in the woodshed, I don't know why she calls it that." 
Then everyone started calling it "Notes from behind the woodshed" and asking, "Hey Adam, what's your mom doing behind the woodshed?" 

What really clinched my discomfort, was when she felt compelled, for some inexplicable reason, to relate in her column, an incident in which she accidentally entered the wrong door of a sauna. Sheesh.  

What I'm trying to say, is that I understand all to well the damage that can be caused by poorly considered material, titles, half baked writing, etc. Still, I am proceeding forward with my blog, "Thoughts and Feelings" in spite of this---NAY, BECAUSE of this, for it is in my blood. Tune in next time.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of "Notes from the Woodshed" was the monthly beaver update. Are the beavers still there, building their dams in the pond, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy, this article is a great way to kick off your blog. It also inspired a very cool comment about beaver dams, heh. I did not know that you and beavers were acquainted.

    ReplyDelete